Colts Notebook: Marlon Mack Practices Again, One Final Step Left To Play Sunday
Andy Lyons | Getty Images
INDIANAPOLIS – Earlier in the week, it looked like the Colts could very well be without 3 of their most important offensive players in Week 13.
With practice over for the week, the Colts have received some good news about Marlon Mack playing this Sunday in Jacksonville.
Along with a Mack update, here are other takeaways from the Colts preparing for the final month of the regular season:
- The Colts have ruled just two players out for Sunday: TE-Mo Alie-Cox (calf) and C-Ryan Kelly (knee).
- In 2018, the Colts have had 5 players enter the concussion protocol after a game and none returned in a 7-day period for the next game. Marlon Mack, who didn’t practice on Wednesday this week, is trying to be the first one to do that. The young running back practiced on both Thursday and Friday. Mack has one final step left to clear in the protocol and that’s seeing an independent neurologist. If that happens, he will be good to go for Sunday.
- Since Mo Alie-Cox injured his calf during practice last week, he hasn’t been able to practice. That’s a notable loss, especially with the Jack Doyle news earlier in the week. Alie-Cox was trending towards some significant playing time, especially with Doyle now on IR.
- Erik Swoope (knee) did return to practice on Friday, which is a good sign for a guy who has missed more than a month of action. Heading into Sunday, the Colts have 4 ‘healthy’ tight ends on their 53-man roster: Eric Ebron, Ryan Hewitt (who returned to practice this week for all 3 days), Erik Swoope (who practiced on Wednesday and Friday this week) and the newly signed Clive Walford.
- Ryan Kelly (sprained MCL) did not practice all week and will miss a second straight game. That means Evan Boehm will get his first road start at center in the NFL. By all accounts, Boehm was solid for the vast majority of snaps last week. He will now face a tougher interior challenge at Jacksonville. Kelly said on Friday returning to practice next week is a goal.
- If the Colts win on Sunday, they will have their first 6-game win streak since the 2009 season. Anytime you are approaching a record for a team that went on to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl that year, you’re on a very successful run.
- Last week, the Colts wore different uniforms. This week, tons of players will don customized cleats. ‘My cleats, my clause’ will expand to three weeks this year as the NFL allows players to wear customized cleats with money going to players respective charities. The Colts will have more than 40 players participate. Head here for a look at some of the cleats.
- We still have 3 weeks to be played before Pro Bowl teams are announced. It’s pretty crazy that Andrew Luck was ranked 8th in fan voting this week among quarterbacks. Luck was 5th in the AFC. The Pro Bowl can often be more of a popularity contest. Is Luck really having the 8th best season of NFL quarterbacks? Of course not. There’s a reason why he should be on the ballot of any MVP talk right now. We will see if he starts to move up. Pro Bowl rosters are based off 1/3 fan voting, 1/3 player vote and 1/3 coach vote.
- Former Colts wideout, and current Jaguars receiver, Donte Moncrief has had 34 catches for 517 yards and 3 touchdowns this season, despite all the issues at quarterback. Moncrief is on pace for the most receiving yards of his career. He’s started 10 games and has played in all 11.
- What will Jack Doyle’s role be the rest of this season: “Just to get him around and lend his experience and expertise to help those guys in the room," Frank Reich said on Friday. "He’s a very important part in that tight end room of working out things, seeing things. We talk a lot about ‘playing with accelerated vision’---how quickly you see and adapt to things on the field. That’s one thing Jack really excels at, so I think he can help those guys. And in the locker room as a leader for this team.”
- Jacksonville All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey (knee) is questionable for Sunday. Ramsey missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday this week, before participating on Friday.
FINAL INJURY REPORT
OUT: TE-Mo Alie-Cox (calf), C-Ryan Kelly (knee)
-Bowen’s Analysis: Alie-Cox and Kelly both missed last Sunday’s game, too.
QUESTIONABLE: RB-Marlon Mack (concussion), S-Mike Mitchell (calf), LB-Darius Leonard (shoulder/knee), WR-Chester Rogers (groin), TE-Erik Swoope (knee), DE-Kemoko Turay (hip)
-Bowen’s Analysis: Mitchell and Rogers didn’t practice on Friday. Swoope returned to practice in a limited role after missing Thursday’s session.
The following players were on the injury report earlier in the week but have since been removed: TE-Eric Ebron (back), S-Clayton Geathers (knee), TE-Ryan Hewitt (ankle), WR-T.Y. Hilton (groin), S-Malik Hooker (hip), LB-Anthony Walker (shoulder).